8-Bit Armies is Petroglyph's first game in the 8-Bit RTS series. It commemorates the first Command & Conquer games with its accessible gameplay mechanics while providing a fun and timeless art style that introduces new players to the genre. A unique console controller scheme makes it easier8-Bit Armies is Petroglyph's first game in the 8-Bit RTS series. It commemorates the first Command & Conquer games with its accessible gameplay mechanics while providing a fun and timeless art style that introduces new players to the genre. A unique console controller scheme makes it easier than ever to build bases and command large armies without complex button memorization.
* Jump right in with easy to understand modern military units and structures.
* Play cooperatively or versus the AI choosing from multiple difficulty options.
* Use classic RTS Base-Building mechanics to construct the ultimate HQ from which to attack your foes.
* Explore a variety of locales, destroying everything that gets in your way with devastating superweapons.
* Two campaigns with a total of 40 single-player combat missions for many hours of gameplay.
* Join your friends to play 12 co-op missions against a variety of AI opponents.
* Gather up to 8 online players to team up in one of the dozen multiplayer/skirmish maps.… Expand
Oct 2, 20188 Bit Armies is a charming cartoon-like RTS game that offers a good challenge. It can be unfair at times due to the enemy having advanced tech, larger forces, and even nukes. Planning and strategizing is necessary, and fills you with pride when successful. Unfortunately it seems as if the multiplayer lobbies are empty.
Oct 4, 2018Beneath a simple shell, there’s a playground of warfare that thoroughly detracts from boredom. And while it may not be a graphical marvel, 8-Bit Armies easily employs more fun factor than some of its graphically-demanding peers. If Petroglyph can build on its factions, I don’t see why it can’t renew the foundations of a neglected genre.
Oct 3, 2018At its core, 8-Bit Armies is a an imitator. A competent one, a throwback, with a few clever tricks of its own, but nothing wholly original or revolutionary. If you’re itching for another strategy game it will satisfy well enough, but it doesn’t feel essential.
Oct 7, 20188-Bit Armies does well to tackle the control and interface issues that have marred the genre's translation to consoles. There's some good quality of life considerations that make the bread and butter gameplay enjoyable, if lacking in options. There's plenty of online and offline content but the lack of variety between the factions could lead to a stale, short-lived experience.
Dec 11, 2018Unfortunately 8-Bit Armies’ attempt at console strategy is simplified to the point that it outstays its welcome after a few hours. Whilst the campaign will keep you entertained for a few hours, the multiplayer is too empty to expect any more game time. Perhaps if you have someone who you can rely on to play against it might be worth picking up, but otherwise it’s probably not going to last long enough to be worth it.